Crumpets are just like English muffins. However, if the only English muffin you’ve tried has been the bagged brand from the grocery store, you have NO IDEA what you’re missing. These are tender, chewy, buttery, and bubbly goodness.
Toasted, buttered, and topped with some fruity jam – I’m in heaven! You must sit down to enjoy these warm treats. They’re so heavenly delicious that you’ll need something to keep your balance. They’re THAT good!
There are several things to remember when making these buttery beauties. They’re poured onto a hot, greased griddle into a form to hold its shape. Make sure you allow for plenty of preheating time so get that SIZZLE when you pour the batter.
Also, you’ll need a metal ring form of some sort. I bought these rings and they were just right.
I’ve heard you can also get away with using small cans that have been opened on both sides and rinsed. I did’t try them since my other rings worked so well.
I made these last night, planning on serving them for breakfast. They were so good that we barely had enough this morning. I’m going to double the recipe next time – I can’t wait to make a bacon, egg, and cheese crumpet sandwich.
3 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
1/4 c warm water (110°F)
2 tsp sugar
1/3 c warm milk (110°F)
1 T butter
1 C flour
1/2 tsp salt
1. Proof the yeast: In a small bowl, combine yeast, warm water, and sugar. Allow mixture to sit and become foamy.
Proofed Yeast Mixture
2. Pour milk into a glass measuring cup. Add butter. Microwave until temperature reaches 110°F.
3. In a mixing bowl, combine proofed yeast mixture, milk and butter mixture, and egg. Mix well.
4. Add flour and salt. Beat until smooth. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
5. Preheat griddle over low heat. Spray griddle and metal rings with non-stick cooking spray. Place rings on griddle. Pour batter into rings to fill up to 3/4”.
Fill about 1″ full
6. Cook for about 5 minutes and until the top starts to become dry. Remove rings. Flip crumpets and cook for another 1-2 minutes, until golden.
7. Serve warm or slice and toast crumpets. Butter and jam are great toppings!
Split and Toasted
Delicious nooks and crannies!